The Halifax Pride Society aims to celebrate the advancements of rights and liberties for 2SLGBTQ+ peoples, honour our history of grassroots activism, and continue to protest injustice, prejudice, and discrimination to create meaningful positive change for our community. July 20 – 30, 2017 marks the 30th year for the Halifax Pride Festival, which has grown into Atlantic Canada’s premiere Pride Festival.
This summer, we are seeking a Logistics Coordinator to help us achieve our mission of producing a Pride festival that is accessible, inclusive, fiscally responsible, and that reflects and celebrates the best of the 2SLGBTQ+ community and culture in Halifax and Nova Scotia.
Halifax Pride is looking for a dynamic, passionate, and enthusiastic team player to assist the Society in producing and delivering the festival. The Logistics Coordinator reports to the Executive Director, and will coordinate the procurement of supplies, services, equipment, and develop logistics information to ensure the successful execution of all festival events carried out by the Society.
Over the course of the festival, the Logistics Coordinator will assist the Executive Director, board of directors, and volunteers during the setup and tear-down of supplies and equipment relating to the lecture series, parade, festival grounds, and other events as assigned.
Candidates must be:
- between 15 and 30 years of age;
- a full-time student in the previous academic year; and
- intending to return to school full-time next academic year.
- This is an 8-week summer position;
- The anticipated start date is June 12, 2017.
- This position is for 35 hours per week.
- Assisting in planning and coordinating logistics for all Festival events and workshops;
- Developing a basic schedule of logistical needs for the Festival;
- Costing items and maintaining a budget for the rental or purchase of venue needs;
- Ensuring the Festival venues receive all rental equipment, signage, and other supplies as required; maintaining inventory and ensuring accurate returns;
- Requesting and training logistics volunteers as required;
- Collecting relevant information from other Halifax Pride Festival event organizers and disseminating information to the Executive Director;
- Creating and updating venue plans to enhance ongoing documentation;
- Supporting venue volunteer teams with logistical elements, signage and all technical equipment;
- Coordinating on site venue set-ups and tear-downs;
- Supervising the return of all rental supplies, signage, barricades, etc.;
- Drafting reporting letters for Board meetings;
- Administrative duties including: database input, inventory and event supply ordering, and responding to vendor and volunteer inquiries;
- Assisting the Executive Director as needed.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Previous experience in the not-for-profit environment and/or logistics experience;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the current issues present in the Halifax 2SLGBTQ+ community;
- Extraordinary organizational skills, ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Superior work ethic and interpersonal skills;
- Comfortable working irregular hours in an office environment and outside at the various off-site venues;
- Ability to lift 25 lbs and be on your feet for several hours at a time;
- Detail oriented, self-starter with the ability to work independently and without supervision;
- Proficient in Google Programs (Docs, Forms and Drive);
- Flexible schedule, leading up to and throughout the week of the Festival (July 20-30);
- Highly motivated individual with a collaborative approach;
- Values inclusion and diversity.
Halifax Pride is committed to employment equity, breaking down barriers to employment and participation in the Halifax Pride Society, and providing opportunities to the 2SLGBTQ+ community we serve. 2SLGBTQ+ community members, Aboriginal persons, African Nova Scotian and persons of colour, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to self-identify in their application.
Submit your resume and cover letter via email by May 24, 2017 at 5:00 pm AST to:
Mr. Adam Reid
2151 Gottingen Street, Halifax, NS